Why take an ap course?
According to a Maryland State Department of Education March 2010 publication, Maryland continues to have an increase in students taking the AP exam. It is one of the first states in the nation to have 40% of its graduating seniors take at least one AP exam. Below are just a few facts:
- Having the challenge of taking an AP class in high school results in having an intense academic experience. This leads to graduating from college and not dropping out
- According to College Board, 62% of students who took AP classes had a higher rater of graduating college in four years saves an average of $8,000-$18,000 a year, based on the institution
- 31% of colleges and universities consider a student's AO experience to determine which students will receive scholarships
- 85% of colleges and universities favor students who had AP experience when making their admission decision
- Students who take and pass the AP exam walk into college with college credit before they even start their college career